Lingokids’ mission is to break down language barriers and provide equal opportunities for kids all around the world. With over 5m families using the product and more than 150k new ones every single week, we’re looking for a well-rounded backend engineer to help us on this mission and scale our backend platform., we’re looking for an exceptional Principal Backend Engineer that will be joining our HQ located in sunny Spain.
We’re reinventing early childhood education through an online language learning service for kids. With fresh content - games, books, videos, interactive episodes, etc - every week, we are helping more than 6M families and their children around the world learn English in a fun and effective way. Our dream is to have a positive impact on 100M families and we’re working hard to make it a reality. Our talented team of product designers, software engineers, and content producers tweak and improve our product daily, while incorporating feedback from our customers.
As a Principal Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, prototyping, implementing, documenting, maintaining, and debugging robust backend systems at scale with the purpose of building amazing, educational games that will help millions of kids learn English.
You will also get to work on:
- Our in-house billing system that provides a centralised subscription management system for our product that integrates with AppStore Connect, Google Play Billing, and Stripe Billing.
- An event processing pipeline that receives thousands of user generated events per second, stores them, transforms them, and forwards them onto a number of third party analytics services.
- The content management system that delivers our weekly in-house content to our customers.
- An infrastructure topology that includes AWS-hosted computing capacity, multiple Postgres databases, message brokers, background workers, CDNs, in-memory caches, etc.
- And of course, a slew of interesting customer-facing features that you will help define side-by-side with our product folk.
- Our stack is Ruby on Rails, Postgres, AWS, Redis, React Native, and Unity 3D. We prefer to pick the right tool for the job over trendy new tech.
- Believe that written and spoken communication is the most important skill to solving any engineering problem.
- Have soft skills that include, empathy, inquisitiveness, and open mindedness; we are not big on dogma or cargo-culting here.
- Thrive when working as part of a diverse, multicultural, and multidisciplinary team.
- Relentlessly seek simple, elegant solutions to complex problems.
- Have at least 8 years of professional experience designing, building, maintaining, and evolving backend systems.
- Are an engineer with a solid grasp of distinct programming paradigms, system architectures, development methodologies, and testing approaches. - - You also know when to use each one.
- Are expected to have had some experience with most of the technologies in our current stack (or be a fast learner).
- Have worked at a fast-paced, agile, product-oriented technology company before.
- Have experience developing projects in Ruby on Rails,a highly valued resource.
PERKS & BENEFITS
We are proud of our culture and work hard to make sure every team member loves what they do. Check some of the perks and benefits of working in the EU and being a Lingoer.
- Stock-options: Joining the Lingokids journey means you own part of the company.
- Free books: We buy you any books that can help you be even better at your work.
- Family Leave: Enjoy up to 4 months of paid family leave, regardless of when you joined.
- Unlimited Snacks & Drinks: Our kitchen is always full, from beer to daily fresh fruits.
- Retreats & Social Gatherings: Our team celebrates monthly get-togethers and an annual retreat.
- Visa Sponsorship: If needed, we will fully-sponsor a EU visa to come work with us.
- Language Lessons: We offer language lessons in Spanish and English.
- Gear: Get hooked up with a Macbook (or PC) to do your best work. Fridays Lunch & Learn: Weekly all-hands gathering to lunch and learn from each other.
- Holidays: 23 days of paid leave, and 14 days of bank holidays a year!
- Flexible Hours: Busy parent, or night owl? We get it. 9 to 5 is not for all of us either.
- International Office: Multicultural team with 10+ nationalities and day-to-day work in English.
- Sunny Spain: Over 300 days of sunshine per year with blue-skies.
If any of this rings a bell let’s chat!!